So what do you do when you have the best-selling car in the industry for 12 straight years? You find ways to make it even better. That’s exactly what Toyota did with the introduction of the new 2015 Camry today at the New York International Auto Show. After selling almost a million of the industry’s benchmark sedan since the current generation launched in 2011, Toyota stripped it down to its chassis and rebuilt it from the ground up, raising the bar yet again in the ultra-competitive mid-size sedan segment.
2015 Camry Quick Facts
- The Camry competes with: Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata
- It looks like: The Toyota Highlander's grille found a new home
- Drivetrain: 2.5-liter four-cylinder, 3.5-liter V-6, six-speed automatic transmission; hybrid with 2.5-liter four-cylinder and CVT
- 2015 Camry hits dealerships: Fall 2014
Under the Hood
The existing four-cylinder, six-cylinder and hybrid powertrains carry over, though two new trim levels, the XSE and Hybrid SE, bring new performance flavor to their respective models. The XSE adds unique 18-inch wheels, its own shock absorbers, firmer bushings, higher rate coil springs and unique steering tuning to make it what Toyota calls the sportiest Camry yet.
|The All-New 2015 Toyota Camry.|
The Camry will offer driving aids such as lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, pre-collision warning, automatic high beams and blind spot warning with rear cross-traffic alert.
Designers and engineers rethought the entire exterior. The 2015 model is longer than the outgoing Camry by 1.8 inches and features a 0.4-inch wider track. The chassis and body are strengthened with additional spot welds for enhanced rigidity and improved ride quality, Toyota says.
Front styling is more aggressive with a wider, more prominent grille and a significant body line stretching from the front fender through the doors and rear quarter panel. Toyota says this design conveys a sense of motion. The 2015's headlights will be available in LED low and high beams along with an auto-leveling system.
Inside the new Camry are more premium and soft-touch materials, as well as a new 4.2-inch color screen between the gauges of SE, XLE and XSE models for controlling vehicle functions, audio, navigation, warnings and communications. The interior is finished in a satin chrome trim, and premium cloth is the standard interior upholstery; a package with leather and Ultra suede material with contrast stitching is also available.
A redesigned center console tray forward of the gear selector increases storage capacity and offers a DC outlet, USB port as well an available wireless charging system for select smartphones, which Toyota says is a segment first.
One focus of the redesign was to quiet the cabin. Toyota says it has addressed road and wind noise by improving window and door seals and adding 30 percent more insulating material to the carpet. The side mirrors are also redesigned to reduce air turbulence and noise.
Did you know…
- Since 1983, 10.2 Million Camrys have been sold in the United States.
- Over 6.6 Million Camrys are still on American Road ways today.
- The Camry has been the #1 selling car in America for the last 12 years in a row.
- If Camry were its own manufacturer, it would rank in the top 10 in the industry.
- Almost 50 American families bring home a new Camry every hour.
- Every Camry sold in North America is built in the United States. Its production provides jobs to 7,000 skilled American workers.
- In 2013, 407,000 Camrys were sold.
The sales team at Heiser Toyota is excited to have the all-new 2015 Toyota Camry hit their showroom in Milwaukee this fall. To stay up-to-date on the latest Camry news and see our current inventory of 2014 Toyota Camrys, please visit our website www.heisertoyota.com or check out our dealership near Good Hope Road and Highway 45 in Milwaukee.
* "Did you know" and other Camry stats provided by Toyota Motor Company.