The Wisconsin Vehicle Inspection Program has undergone some exciting changes. The new inspection network will increase locations from the current nine to two hundred conveniently located throughout the seven county vehicle emissions program area. The new inspection network is decentralized, which means the network is comprised of private businesses, including, vehicle repair facilities, service stations, and car dealerships. Heiser Toyota and Heiser’s Quick Motors locations are proud to be a part of this program.
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation notifies vehicle owners when an emissions test is required. Vehicles require an emissions test based on:
· Vehicle location
· Vehicles customarily kept in one of the seven southeastern Wisconsin counties of Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Sheboygan, Washington and Waukesha.
· Autos and light trucks model years 1996 to 2006 that have a gross vehicle rating up to 8,500 pounds, not including diesel powered vehicles.
· Autos and light trucks model years 2007 and newer which have a gross vehicle rating up to 14,000 pounds, including diesel powered vehicles.
· Certain regular occasions
· After a transfer of ownership (transfer of plates or new plates issued).
· After first registering in Wisconsin.
· Before renewing registration
The Federal Clean Air Act mandates the operation of vehicle emission inspection and maintenance programs in areas throughout the nation with significant air quality issues, including Southeastern Wisconsin. Motor vehicles are a major source of air pollutants in metropolitan areas. Vehicle exhaust contains carbon monoxide and other pollutants that react to form ground level ozone. Motor vehicles emit about one-third of Southeastern Wisconsin's volatile organic compounds (mostly hydrocarbons) and about 60% of its carbon monoxide.
Our Heiser Toyota and Quick Motors emissions facilities are open Monday through Friday 8:00AM to 4:00PM and Saturday mornings from 8:00AM to 12:00PM. We are also able to renew your plates on site. Similar to the older emissions procedures, no appointment is needed.
At Heiser we are dedicated to helping our clients with every aspect of their vehicle’s maintenance. If you have any questions about our emissions testing facilities or would like to schedule an appointment for maintenance on your vehicle, please call us at 414-577-1672. Also, make sure to “Like” us on Facebook. Our Facebook fans get exclusive coupons for both sales and service at all Heiser Automotive Group locations.
We hope you are having a great summer!
Mary Ann Scaffidi